Monday, July 11, 2011

Y. Bhekhirst - Hot In The Airport


(15 Feb 2011)

The Shaggs are overrated! There, I've said it. So what that they pioneered in the "music done by people who know nothing about music" genre? They're not particularly good at it. Why do they get such acclaim? I just don't understand it. Their music is just boring and irritating! I guess people may argue that it has this sort of unique character. Well, for those people, I have one simple answer: Y. Bhekhirst.

This guy can't particularly sing, can't particularly play, fanatically supports the notion that time is an illusion, and wouldn't be able to write a meaningful lyric if his life depended on it, yet the enthusiasm is there, and it is there full force. It's the lack of any attention to detail whatsoever that makes this album speak for itself. The amateurish, naive, careless music, coupled with a very clear production brings some really weird results, and makes Hot In The Airport a hilarious listen. But what truly makes this release far superior to Philosophy of the World is that fact that it is fucking catchy as the flu. You will have the songs stuck in your head for days!

If you have or haven't ever played the flash game QWOP, go play it while listening to this album, because they complement each other beautifully. I wish, though, that there were more variety, because eventually listening to the same hilarious things becomes extremely tiring.

Standout tracks:

Over All
I Run My Car
Rain in Summer
I Will Sing

No comments:

Post a Comment