Sunday, July 10, 2011

Gorguts - Obscura


(26 Aug. 2010)

I could ceaselessly listen to this album for a year and still find parts of songs that I had previously neglected. This is one of the most abstract releases I have ever heard. The songs feel like they are all hanging together as songs by a thread. It sounds like it would be enough to miss a single note for the whole thing to become a complete mess. Obscura is not near the thin line between music and random noise. It IS that thin line.

What's strange about this album is that, despite being impossibly complicated to listen to, it has a really vast fan-base. Gorguts seem to have managed to reach an enormous audience by not selling out, and just that fact already makes Obscura a record worth praise.

As you can probably see, I am trying my best to digress for as long as possible and not talk in any actual detail about the songs, merely giving ambiguous metaphors. That is because I wouldn't be able to talk into detail about the music. I'm not worthy. All I can say is that this release is one that will be given a shitload of relistens, it has to be dissected before it can be properly enjoyed, and that Clouded will give you an unbearable headache for the rest of the day.

Standout tracks:
Obscura
Earthly Love
Nostalgia
Subtle Body
Faceless Ones
Sweet Silence

No comments:

Post a Comment